- Inpatient/Acute Care
- GP & Clinics
- Physician Services
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Client Records
- Computer Services
The Inuvik Regional Hospital is the only hospital facility in the Beaufort-Delta region.
The 51-bed hospital provides the following services:
- Emergency Room (24/7 on an on-call basis)
- Operating Room
- Obstetrical Care
- Acute Care
- Long Term Care
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Physician Family Clinics
- Visiting Specialist Clinics
- Medical referrals to southern facilities
The hospital also houses the following services that are available to all residents in the region:
- Rehabilitation Services
- Regional Social Services
- Regional Mental Health & Addictions Program
The Authority's administration offices are located on the second floor of the hospital.
All residents in the region have access to a team of primary care providers. This team supplies basic clinical assessment and treatment, frontline counseling, first aid, emergency care, aftercare, and monitors a plan of care.
The acute care unit has 14 patient beds, 3 special care unit beds, 4 day surgery beds and 2 birthing room beds. Babies usually room in with their mothers.
A complement of registered nurses and licensed practical nurses provide 24/7 care. Family physicians visit each patient daily.
The acute care department has access to diagnostic testing and laboratory services in the hospital. Seriously ill or injured patients, needing intensive care beyond the scope of services available at Inuvik Regional Hospital, are transferred to Yellowknife or Edmonton.
Our primary care team has a patient and client-focused approach to service delivery, striving to provide competent, information-driven, and quality care.
GP and Special Clinics
Inuvik has two clinics where patients can consult a family physician. One family clinic operates out of the hospital and the other clinic, Arctic Family Medical House, is located in town.
Our goal is to eliminate long waiting times and to give patients access to physician services as soon as possible.
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday: 10:00-17:00
Specialists visiting from Yellowknife and Edmonton provide these clinics. Clinics include dermatology, Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT), internal medicine, orthopedics, psychiatry, ophthalmology, pediatrics, neurology, surgery and gynecology.
The Beaufort-Delta Health and Social Services Authority employs nine full-time physicians, supplemented by a smaller number of short-term doctors. Permanent staff are family doctors with a broad scope of practice.
- Family medicine clinics
- 24/7 emergency coverage
- Medical-evacuation service
- Anesthesia and surgical coverage
- Long-term care coverage
- Comprehensive obstetrical care with cesarean section capability
Physicians based in Inuvik also provide GP services on a visiting basis to residents in the seven outlying communities of our region.
The laboratory staff collect, receive and analyze biological samples in order to assist medical and non-medical professionals in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of disease.
- Monday to Friday: 09:00-12:00
Please call: 867-777-8156
- Water testing for coliforms and E. coli - $20/test
- ABO and Rh blood typing for non-medical reasons - $20/test
Although the lab does not perform paternity testing, we can perform the specimen collection and shipping for an external company.
You must first contact the company and have them send us the required collection kit. One such company you can contact is Helix Biotech 1-800-563-4363.
The Diagnostic Imaging Department offers a full range of imaging services with two full-time medical radiation technologists/sonographers and one clerk/receptionist.
Monday to Friday: 08:00-17:00
Monday to Friday: 10:30-16:30
Emergencies, After Hours and Weekends
Covered by an on-call technologist
Diagnostic Imaging Services
- Mammography services (screening program provided on a clinic basis approximately 3-4 times a year).
A health record refers to a compilation of documents that create a comprehensive medical profile of each client. These records are created and stored within the client record department at Inuvik Regional Hospital.
Our clerks organize outpatient information within the charts and arrange the transfer of charts for doctors, clinics, Emergency and other departments as required.
Our Health Record Technicians gather statistical and medical data about patient visits (inpatient and outpatient) for usage by internal and external entities. They provide guidance to physicians, nurses and other health practitioners at health centres within the region regarding collection and disposition of data on charts at their facilities. With the patient's consent, they also release information to various agencies, other hospitals, and the patients themselves.
Hours of Operation
Monday to Friday: 08:30-17:00
- Main: 867-777-8018
- Technician: 867-777-8017
- Release of Info: 867-777-8186
- Fax: 867-777-8016
The Computer Services Department strives to improve the quality and effectiveness of BDHSSA through the application and use of information related technologies and processes.
Key responsibilities include the provision of:
- Strategic planning and technical direction for the application of existing and emerging technologies
- Electronic infrastructure to support the operations of the hospital
- Computing and networking facilities for all staff
- Business Process Redesign expertise to streamline the processes of the hospital
- Data organisation, custodianship and access facilities
- General purpose utilities such as E-mail, Word processing, Spreadsheets, etc.
- Software building, selection and integration services
- General advice and support on existing and upcoming technologies
- All such facilities being to the highest possible standards given the resources available
The facilities and support are provided to staff throughout the hospital and its surrounding 7 communities.